Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Week Four - What can happen in one month?

If I am such an authority on weight loss, why have I been heavy most of my life?
I am an intelligent person.  Why is this so hard?

My first "diet" was Weight Watchers when I was in the 7th grade.  It worked for me.  I was young and focused, and my mom was doing it with me, and doing most of the cooking at home too.

For many years I thought I was fat and I really wasn't that much over weight.  With my first child, my weight spiked to 185.  I was able to bring it back down.  With my second child I found myself over 200 lbs.  Again, I was able to get focused and bring it back to a comfortable weight for me.
This has been the story of my life.  Taking it off, but never being able to make it a lifestyle, and keeping it off.  And with each weight gain, it came with more weight than the last time, before I made the decision to FOCUS on taking it off again.

Sometimes I even thought, "I know how to take the weight off.  When the time comes to do it, I know that I can".  But as long as my clothes weren't binding, I was OK with myself.  And then there comes a time when I realize, I am not OK.  I am not comfortable in any of my clothes.  And in the pictures I see of myself, I look huge.

So, this month I have been focused again.
My scale is down 9 lbs. in 4 weeks.
Some of my clothes are fitting better.  I have SO MANY more really nice things I want to wear again.

I am staying conscious of everything I eat.  Sometimes still choosing to have something I could do without, like my wine.  But still being conscious.
I truly enjoy talking about weight loss with my friends and they are very supportive.
I am consistently keeping track of my calorie intake, staying between 1200 and 1500 calories.
I am trying to drink my water.  At least 60 ounces.  I could still be better.
I am still working on getting outside and walking everyday, at least 30 minutes around my neighborhood.  And I am still dancing several times a week.
I don't have any trouble skipping the dessert.
I am very satisfied splitting a meal when dining out.
I took my favorite "Trees and Raisins" Broccoli salad to a dinner party this week.

Trees and Raisins
Broccoli flowerets, cut very small, about 6 cups
(I cut off the stems and will make a broccoli soup later)
Onion, 1 medium, chopped
Raisins, 1 cup
Crispy fried bacon, ½ to 1 pound
1 cup real mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons white vinegar (I use the cheap brand like best choice)
½ cup sugar (I used 1/3 cup Stevia)

Truth be told, one month ago, I determined that I wanted to lose 60 pounds.  So today that goal is 51 pounds.  I am 1/6 of the way to my destination.  However, I must remember that the destination is not a number that I will reach and then go back to my old habits.  Somehow, I must figure out how to maintain a healthy weight.

This week I have been thinking that I have been really bad about eating breakfast.
I run out of the house, headed to work, and figure I'll get something when I get to work.  (Remember, I work at a grocery store.  It's probably a little easier for me to get something at work, than it might be for you.)  But still I struggle with what that breakfast should be.  Often times I grab an Atkins Protein Shake.  But I think I can do better.

Whatever you want to know, you can find it on the internet, right?
SO MANY websites are available to educate us in whatever area interests us.
What do you want to know?
So I googled best breakfast foods, and now I have a few more options that I hadn't thought of before.

This info comes from Healthline.com
Start your day off right by fueling your body with healthy and nutrient-dense foods.

This website actually says that the time of your breakfast isn't as important as your choice of food.
I actually prefer eating breakfast a little later in the morning.

12 Best foods to eat in the morning

Eggs - Eggs are high in protein and several important nutrients. They also promote fullness and help you eat fewer calories.  Eggs are also very versatile. For example, hard-boiled eggs make a great portable breakfast that can be prepared ahead of time.
Greek Yogurt - Greek yogurt is high in protein, helps reduce appetite and may aid weight loss. Certain types also contain beneficial probiotics.  Try topping Greek yogurt with berries or chopped fruit to increase your meal's vitamin, mineral and fiber content.
Coffee - Having a cup of coffee is a great way to start your day. The caffeine in it may improve mood, mental performance and metabolism.
Oatmeal - Oatmeal is rich in beta-glucan fiber, which lowers cholesterol and increases feelings of fullness. It also contains antioxidants.  To boost the protein content of an oatmeal breakfast, prepare it with milk instead of water or serve it with a side of eggs or a piece of cheese.
Chia Seeds - Chia seeds are high in fiber and packed with antioxidants that may reduce inflammation and decrease disease risk.  In fact, one ounce (28 grams) of chia seeds provides an impressive 11 grams of fiber per serving.  Chia seeds are also high in antioxidants.

High-Protein Chia Seed Pudding
Ingredients:

  • 1 ounce of dried chia seeds.
  • 1 scoop of whey protein powder.
  • 1 cup  of coconut milk or almond milk.
  • Half a cup of berries.
  • Stevia or another sweetner to taste, if desired.
Directions:
  • Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
  • Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least one hour.

Berries - Berries are high in fiber and low in calories. They're also rich in antioxidants that may decrease your risk of disease.  A good way to add berries to your breakfast is to eat them with Greek yogurt or cottage cheese.
Nuts - Nuts are a filling, nutrient-dense food that may help reduce heart disease risk and improve blood sugar control.  All types of nuts are also high in magnesium, potassium and heart-healthy monounsaturated fat.  Topping Greek yogurt, cottage cheese or oatmeal with 2 tablespoons of chopped nuts provides crunch and flavor while increasing your breakfast's nutritional value.
Green Tea - Green tea has many health benefits. It contains an antioxidant called EGCG, which benefits your brain and nervous system.
Protein Shake - A protein shake or smoothie is a great high-protein breakfast choice that promotes fullness and helps stabilize blood sugar levels.  Add fruits, greens, nut butter or seeds to provide fiber and antioxidants.
Fruit - Fruit is a good source of vitamins, potassium and fiber. It also contains antioxidants that can help reduce disease risk.  Pair fruit with eggs, cheese, cottage cheese or Greek yogurt for a well-balanced breakfast that will sustain you for hours.
Flaxseed - Flaxseeds are high in viscous fiber, which helps you feel full. They may also improve insulin sensitivity and reduce blood sugar levels.  Two tablespoons (14 grams) of ground flaxseeds contain 3 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber.  Try adding GROUND flaxseeds to Greek yogurt, cottage cheese or a smoothie to increase the fiber and antioxidant content of your breakfast.
Cottage Cheese - Cottage cheese is high in protein, which promotes feelings of fullness and increases your metabolic rate.  One cup of cottage cheese provides an impressive 25 grams of protein.  Add berries and ground flaxseed or chopped nuts to make it even more nutritious.

Remember that what we focus on expands.  If it is important to us, we need to focus regularly, daily.  We need to think about it, talk about it, make plans, and follow through on those plans.  Add one new healthy thing to your routine this week.


ALSO, the very next item on this website was;
This sequence can take less than 10 minutes, or longer if you want to stay in poses for a few breaths longer or repeat the whole sequence a few times.
It can really make a difference in how both our body and our mind start the day.

Follow the link above to view demonstrations of just 7 stretches to start the day.  
I said the very first week that I need to do yoga again and it still hasn't happened.  

Everyone has their own morning routine: meditation, coffee, hot water with lemon, breakfast and a workout, etc.  By incorporating a quick yoga routine, we can turn inward before we start our day.
Give yourself a little “me time” before putting it all out there. Plus, it will stimulate our organs, our brain, our muscles, and our focus.

MY PROGRESS
I am so excited to be seeing the scale go down for the first time in years.

I know that whatever we put our minds to, we can achieve.
Believe in yourself.  Believe you can.  Let the beautiful person inside of you shine with positive energy.  Put one foot in front of the other and move forward.

Keep up the good work.






2 comments:

  1. Wonderful picture and thoughts. Little long. Keep up the good work.
    Love,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's really amazing I have heard a new app apple cider nutrition facts this app is great and I have started looking at it. Thanks for the help and suggesting the matter I will go forward with it. Keep publishing and writing new article.

    ReplyDelete