Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Shelly's Weight Loss Journey - Week One - Progress

  

Marlene told me a long time ago, “By our choices we reveal our commitments.”

Life is all about choices. 
The hardest part of a weight loss journey, is deciding it’s time to make changes in our life, and then follow through.  Once the decision is made, if we are focused and aware, discipline is not as hard as you think it will be.  Will I, Won’t I, Should I, Shouldn’t I?  Once we remove these questions, we can get on with executing our plan. 

Krista said, “It all starts at the grocery store.  If it’s not in the house, I can’t eat it.”
And going to the grocery store involves making a list of foods to purchase based on a meal plan.
Again, make your plan and execute your plan.

Reading labels – Do you know how to read labels? 
I love fresh mozzarella.  I would purchase the Bel Gioioso Brand Mozzarella ball and I could easily eat half of the ball, with tomato, basil, Olive oil and balsamic or on top of a homemade pizza.  But when I read the label, the serving was 1/8 of the ball.  One serving (1/8) of the ball is 70 calories.  It has 5 grams of fat and 5 grams of protein. 


I decided on ¼ of the ball and 140 calories for my serving.  That was still half of my previous normal serving.  Because I had 2 servings, now am getting 10 grams of fat and 10 grams of protein. 









Smart Chicken Thighs with skin on
Another of my favorites is chicken thighs, with the skin on.  I baked these in the oven and they were so good.  I had one large chicken thigh with frozen mixed vegetables.  This label says a 4 oz. serving is 260 calories.  That is consistent with My Fitness Pal also.  19 grams of protein, and 21 grams of fat.   It is higher in fat than if I didn’t eat the skin.  How bad is it, really?

So I did some reading on how much fat I should eat in a day.  The mayoclinic.org website states
Total fat: 20% to 35% of daily calories – at a conservative 1200 calories per day, that would equate to 240 – 420 fat Calories per day.
Saturated fat: 10% or less of daily calories.  At 1200 calories per day, that would equate to 120 calories or less per day.

There are 9 Calories per one gram of fat.  My chicken thigh (with skin) had 21 fat grams or 189 fat calories.  My chicken thigh (with skin) had 6 grams saturated fat or 54 saturated fat calories.

Chicken Thigh, mixed vegetables with butter (and wine.)
Maureen, my alternative health friend, always told me eating fat doesn’t make you fat.  It’s the starches, sugars, and processed food that should be avoided.  Fat calories actually makes you feel more full and satisfied longer.

Sit down and eat your meal at the table.
I’m not telling you anything you haven’t heard before.  We get in such a rush that we eat in our car, we eat at our desk, we eat in front of the TV.  But this week I made it a point to sit at my table.  I even used my nicer dinnerware a couple of times. 

Concentrate on slowing down.  Really chew your food.  Savor the taste.  Enjoy every bite.
Remember it takes 20 minutes before your brain registers that you’re full. 
You may want to use a smaller plate for a full plate of food. 

Water – half my body weight in water is a lot.  I don’t think I hit that mark any day this week.  But it was certainly better than before, and I will continue to try harder to hit that mark.

Exercise – Rather, Activity!  I added activity almost every day.  I walked 4 days with a girlfriend.  I danced three days and I swam several days. 
Ham and Cheese Roll-up, tomatoes
While walking, I had my phone in a pocket and “My Fitness Pal” App logged my steps.  One day I made it over 10,000 steps.  Another day was 8,000.  I will work towards 10,000 steps every day.   

Logging what we eat - I logged my food every day in the My Fitness Pal App.  It’s a free app and it’s really easy to use.  

This week I ate avocados, bananas, yogurt, berries, oranges and apples, Fresh tomato and Mozzarella, Almond butter, Spinach omelets, and taco salad without chips. (15 chips would have been 150 calories)
Taco Salad with Avocado

 

Progress

I did good this week. My scale is down 4 pounds in 7 days.

It has been my experience that the first week is a greater loss because we will drop water weight our body has been holding on to.  I’m on a journey.  And I’m following my road map.  I hope you’ll want to come along.

What has worked for you?  What are your go-to recipes?
Pork Tenderloin, Baked cauliflower,
and homemade applesauce
Steak, Yellow Tomato, Basil,
Mozzarella, and balsamic glaze

I would Love your feedback.  Feel free to email me at Shelly@harterhouse.com.  And let me know if I can share your suggestions



No comments:

Post a Comment