Monday, June 27, 2011

Mister Donut and the Donut on a Stick

When I was a little boy in Springfield, I always looked forward to going to my grandmother's pool on the weekends, and my heart would jump with delight at the prospect of visiting the delicious Mister Donut on Kearney, by way to my grandparent's house.  Mr. Donut had your usual fair of culinary confection:  Glazed donuts, Cake Donuts, and Creme-filled, but it was something special that would make me constantly fantasize about it for the week leading up to that Saturday.
The Donut on a Stick.  An epic innovation of design and functionality.  A donut, deep-fried and impaled on a stick, and finally dipped and sprayed with these nuclear-colored icings that had no reason to ever have been created, other than for decorating a child's toxic breakfast.  I still can remember the waxy residue the icing would leave in my mouth. 
  
The infamous donut on a stick, left.
Sadly, the Mr. Donuts left the Springfield area, and the rest of the United States, in the early to mid-80's, but my memories have stood the test of time.  My hope is to one day visit Japan, where Mr. Donut still thrives, so that I may one day partake of the wonderment that was the Donut on a Stick.
 Until that day though, visit Harter House on Republic Road and Eastgate, where both bakeries still make fantastic donuts and sweet treats for you and your children to delight, and I will keep campaigning for them to one day make me a Donut on a Stick.

 

3 comments:

  1. I to remember those waxy type donuts on a stick. Red coating or my fav the chocolate type cake donut. Those sticks were wonderfully dangerous to my bullying brother at the time as well. Our store was the one on sunshine st....close to glenstone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This. All day this. I was just trying to describe a Moster Donut �� donut on a stick to some Millennials. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad I found your post. I googled donuts on a stick trying to remember where we got these. Stopped at Mister Donut in Springfield once or twice a year on the way home from grandma’s.

    ReplyDelete