Friday, August 5, 2011

A Trip to Grand Cayman










As I enter the security checkpoint at the airport, where everyone shows their drivers license, I show my passport and the security person comments, "Oh, a professional traveler!" Yes, that is me.





If not a professional traveler now, it is what I want to be when I grow up!


Michele & Craig Kauffman


I am traveling to Grand Cayman. meeting up with best friends going back to high school years.




Some general Grand Cayman information;


On May 10, 1503, Christopher Columbus named the Islands Las Tortugas after the large number of sea turtles observed.


Grand Cayman is located in the western Caribbean Sea, south of Cuba and west of Jamaica, consisting of 76 square miles.


The capitol is George Town.


Caymanians drive on the left. (That's just wrong.)


The Cayman Dollar is, today, is approximately equivelant to $1.20 US.



Grand Cayman is in the eastern time zone, but because they don't have daylight savings time, we are on the same time as the Central time zone this time of year.


The island lies largely unprotected at sea level and was hit by hurricane Ivan in September of 2004. The storm surge completely over-washed Grand Cayman destroying 95% of the buildings.
The stingrays are one of the biggest tourist attractions on the Island.


We are staying at The Reef Resort on the East End of the Island. It is a small 3 story complex with every room having an ocean view. No crowds here. It is about a 45 minute drive from George Town where the cruise ships dock and town is bustling.


We plan to explore all areas of the island in the next week. And, of course, I plan to sample ALL , or as much of, the island cuisine and adult beverages as possible.

Our hang out here has been the Rusty Pelican's Beach Bar. For lunch I had Black & Blue Mahi Mahi on a ciabatta and it had to be the best Mahi Mahi I've ever had!


Right now, we are headed back out to grill the 2-inch thick Porterhouse steaks that I brought here from Harter House! I know, I know, You wish you were here!!!


































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment