Sunday, September 24, 2023

Sour Meat and Dumplings




This is a family recipe. It was served in our home often, when I was growing up.
My sister-in-law, Lisa, was making it last weekend, so of course that made me hungry for it and I made it yesterday.

It was published in our  first edition Harter House cookbook.
A recipe by Barbara Bettlach. (my mom)

This is a German / Bohemian recipe.


Sour Meat and Dumplings

Any Beef Roast  (I used a 1.5 lb. chuck roast)
White Onion, diced
4 slices bacon, uncooked and diced
2 cups white vinegar (off brand, like Best Choice)
2 cups water
10-14 whole cloves
10-14 Whole Allspice
4 Tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups whole milk

Rinse and salt beef roast.  Dice onion and bacon.  Put on top of roast.  Put water and vinegar in pan around the roast.  Sprinkle whole Allspice and whole Cloves in the vinegar water. Cover and cook.  I  left the roast in a 350 degree oven for almost 4 hours.  It was probably done at 3 hours.  When Roast is done,  take out of liquid.  To make gravy: in a small container, whisk flour and milk together so that it doesn't clump up.  Pour mixture into hot (not boiling) vinegar and water.

Drop Dumplings 
(I cut this down by a third, because I was only making it for about 4 servings)

Original recipe calls for
4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
1 3/4 cup water

In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder and eggs. Add water slowly.  Mixture should be sticky and not smooth.  Spoon into a large pot of boiling water.  Boil 10 - 12 minutes.  Stir when all are put in water to help from sticking to the bottom.

Combine meat and dumplings in the gravy and enjoy

Note: if there is to much water mixed into the drop dumplings they will not hold together well.

The chuck roast just shredded with my fork.
My dumplings may have had a tad too much water added.
And my meat and dumplings really soaked up the gravy.
Very delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment