Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Ribs, Sauerkraut, Mashed Potatoes and Brown Gravy


My mother invited me to dinner this week, with my Aunt Sally and her husband, Mike..
Mother made a classic German / Bohemian dish of Pork, Sauerkraut, mashed potatoes and brown gravy.  It was so good, I want to prepare it again today.  (There wasn't any leftover at her house)
The secret ingredient is caraway seed.  In our family, we love recipes with caraway.

This time my mother used Baby Back Ribs.
In the past she has used spare ribs, and country style ribs.




INGREDIENTS
1 slab Baby Back Ribs - Membrane removed
salt, pepper,
Cavender's Greek Seasoning
1 Bag Flanagan's Krrrrisp Kraut, drained
1 Tablespoons Caraway Seed

Serve with Mashed Potatoes and (McCormick's) Brown Gravy.


DIRECTIONS
In a 9 x 9 baking dish, place seasoned ribs on the bottom.
Top with drained Sauerkraut,
Sprinkle with Caraway seeds.
Cook in a 350 degree oven for 2 1/2 - 3 hours.
(Meat will fall off the bone)

NOTE
You can also Par-boiled the ribs for about 30 minutes and then reduce the bake time to 1 hour.


Removing the Membrane from Baby Back Ribs
  1. At one end of the rack, slide a dinner knife under the membrane and over a bone.
  2. Lift and loosen the membrane until it tears.
  3. Grab the edge of the membrane with a paper towel and pull it off.
  4. The membrane may come off in one whole piece, or you may need to remove it in smaller pieces.
An interesting fact, when I purchased my Baby Back ribs at Harter House today, the butcher told me they are purchasing ribs with the membrane already removed.  Yay!.  Now I won't forget to remove it.
Harter House also sells a 3-slab Value Pack.  I was told, those may still have the membranes.



Flanagan Kraut is my favorite.
Find it in the Deli Case at Harter House.








I used the regular Cavender's, but they also have a Salt Free Cavender's Seasoning that does not contain MSG. Ingredients: Potassium chloride, black pepper, corn starch, garlic, oregano, flavor base seasoning (Hydrolyzed corn soy protein, sugar, onion powder, spice extractives), parsley and five other spices.




Everyone always enjoys this simple, 
easy to prepare, brown gravy packet.

Just add 1 Cup Water per packet.
I used 2 packets. 


ENJOY







No comments:

Post a Comment