Give a small box of these as a host or holiday gift and you will be very popular.
- 96 pecan halves
- 10 ounces dark chocolate, I used a bag of Nestle Dark Chocolate Morsels
- 11 ounce bag of Kraft Caramels, unwrapped (the soft kind)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp evaporated milk
- Line 2 baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Put the pecans on an unlined baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Heat 1/2 the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave on high for 1 minute. Remove and stir. Microwave a further 15-30 seconds and stir again until melted and smooth.
- Drop small amounts of chocolate onto the prepared baking sheets and spread with your spoon to the size of quarters. Top with 4 pecan halves to form the turtle legs. (See photos)
- You can proceed to the next step immediately or put the tray in the freezer to firm up for 5 minutes.
- Melt the caramels, butter, and milk in the microwave. Start at one minute, stir, and if necessary heat in 15 seconds increments until smooth. I like to let the caramel cool a little to thicken up before proceeding.
- Add a small (about 1/2 tsp) dollop of caramel to the top of each turtle.
- Again, put the tray in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Melt the remaining chocolate and add a small amount to the top of each turtle, spreading it around to cover the caramel. I like to give the chocolate a little swirl flourish as I lift up my spoon. Put the tray in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- The turtles can be stored at room temperature or in the refrigerator. These will freeze well for longer storage (put them in a heavy duty zip lock freezer bag.)
Variations on these turtle candies ~
Use any chocolate you like, including milk or white.
Garnish with crushed pecans or sea salt while the final chocolate topping is still wet.
Use your favorite spiced pecans for a unique touch.