Sunday, June 12, 2016

Tomato and Avocado Fruit Salad

I found this recipe many years ago and enjoy making it this time of year when tomatoes and fruits are at their best.


I love tomatoes on their own, sliced and sprinkled with salt and pepper.  But also, topped with mayo, or drizzled with olive oil and topped with fresh basil and mozzarella pearls.  I love a BLT, with the tomatoes dripping between two chewy slices of Rustic French Bread and crispy fried Harter House Thick Sliced Bacon.  I also like tomatoes on a bagel with cream cheese.  If it has tomato in it, I know I am feeding my body well.


By the way, are tomatoes really a fruit?  Well, yes they are.  But I continue to think of them as a healthy vegetable.


This recipe uses fresh tomatoes and avocados, with a tart bite of fruits, an acidic tang of grapefruit and orange, deep richness of cherries combined together to create a perfect union.  I ate this salad immediately after tossing, but it is good the next day as well.




Tomato and Avocado Fruit Salad
(serves 2 as a full meal or 4-6 as a side)


2 large nectarines
1 large pink grapefruit (remove peel and seeds)
2 large heirloom tomatoes, any variety
1 large avocado
1 1/2 cups pitted, halved cherries (use a dark, sweet variety, like Bing)
1 large navel orange (remove peel and seeds)
1-2 plums


Cut fruit into chunks, and toss together with their juices.  Enjoy this salad on it's own, or top with yogurt (honey flavored Greek Yogurt is my favorite)  I also enjoy it with a whole wheat bagel with a little cream cheese and a drizzle of honey.











No comments:

Post a Comment