Sunday, October 8, 2023

Michele's Baked Lasagna



Many years ago, I purchased R&F Brand Lasagna noodles.  I decided to save the recipe knowing someday I would not be able to find it. Sure enough, the parent company sold and today this brand no longer exists.   But I still have the recipe.  This recipe is my base. It is great as is, but I will enhance it, making it a little different each time.  I ALWAYS double the meat that is called for.


These are my ingredients.  I start with opening my wine, because I love to enjoy a glass as I cook.

Ingredients
1 lb. Lasagna noodles
3/4 lb. Ricotta (or full container)
2 eggs
4 Cups Meat Sauce - See below
1 lb. Mozzarella Cheese
4 Tbls or more, Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Pepper

Meat Sauce
1 lb. Ground meat ( 1/2 beef - 1/2 Pork)   - (I double this.)
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1 Large Onion
1/4 Cup Chopped Parsley
1 Clove Garlic, chopped or pressed
1 Carrot, grated
1 Can Tomatoes, chopped or mixed in blender for a few seconds
1 (6 oz) can Tomato Paste
1/2 Cup Dry Red Wine
12 oz. water
1 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp Pepper
1 Tsp Basil

Sauté onion, parsley, garlic and carrot in oil. Add meat and brown.
Add tomato paste, wine and water, salt, pepper and basil.  Simmer 1 hour.

Boil Lasagna 10 minutes in 6 Qts. salted water.  Add cold water until noodles can be handles.  Do NOT drain.

In a separate bowl mix eggs and ricotta.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

 Grease Baking dish and arrange the bottom with parallel layers of lasagna.  Add 1/3 of Meat Sauce, 1/3 Ricotta mixture, 1/3 thin slices Mozzarella.  Sprinkle with grated Parmesan.  Cover with another layer of each, and a third layer of each.  Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) for 30 minutes. 
Serves 8



I chopped my onion, added grated carrots, and pressed garlic.
Saute in 1/4 cup Olive Oil



I added 1 lb. each of
  Harter House Ground Round (95%  lean)
and Harter House homemade Italian Sausage.

At Harter House, all of our ground meats are ground fresh daily from our own trimmings, to ensure the freshest product for your family.




Brown the meat and drain the fat and oil from the pot.
I like to use Bounty paper towels to soak up the liquid.


I added basil rather than parsley.  I love the flavor of basil and I find that fresh spices add an extra kick that always wins the prize.




Next I added chopped Roasted Red Peppers, tomatoes, and tomato paste.
I added 1 cup Cabernet Wine and 1 cup water.
(a little different from the original recipe)


              

                                                       
Now, we let it simmer for an hour.

Next, I've set up my work station to layer each ingredient.
A little oil on the Pampered Chef Stone Bakeware. 
Layer noodles, meat sauce, Ricotta and egg mixture, Mozzarella slices, and Parmesan cheese. Repeat for three layers.  Then bake in a 350 degree oven 30-45 minutes. (since I made a larger amount, I cooked it a little longer)  Then I broiled the lasagna just long enough to make the cheese bubbly on top.







Finally, I made a Cheesy Garlic Bread with English Muffins.  Melted butter and garlic powder sprinkled on muffins and topped with shredded mozzarella.  Broil for about 8 minutes, till the cheese is browned a bit.

My hard work paid off.
I received a third place Judges Choice at our Springfield's Best Mixer, that had a Italian themed Bring a Dish contest.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, I have been looking for th R&F recipe since they were bought out. You are right about the recipe, it's a great base to start.
    Thanks,
    Dan

    ReplyDelete