Sunday, February 4, 2024

Meatballs and Gravy

This recipe is tried and true!

I’m not going to pretend that I am Italian, because of every nationality that is mixed through my veins – Italian is about the single one that I am not. However, I love Italian food & tend to make some pretty great meals when I cook Italian food. This is something I am confident I can make well…enter Meatballs and Gravy. Now, since I am not Italian by birth (only by choice) I would not have known that the sauce is actually called gravy, when you put it on meatballs. Also, I found everything I need to make this wonderful recipe at Harter House and Harter House World Flavors.

Meatballs and Gravy
Ingredients:
For Meatballs:
1.5 lb. of mild Italian sausage
1.5 lb. lean ground beef
2 eggs
2 tsp Dried Italian Seasoning
3/4 cup Italian Bread Crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (reduced fat)
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
pinch brown sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh cracked pepper

For “Gravy”
2 large cans Cento crushed tomatoes
2 cloves fresh minced garlic
1 small yellow or white onion
olive oil
1/2 diced roasted Italian red pepper
fresh basil – minced
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
pinch sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
couple dashes hot sauce
1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
1 tsp of lemon juice


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees

2. Open a bottle of your favorite wine and consume while cooking.

3. Combine all ingredients for the meatballs into a bowl. Once all the ingredients are blended together, you are going to form your balls. These are meant to be bigger than the kind you find in your spaghetti – since they are the main course. So you want them to fill up a good handful (why is this starting to sound dirty)…



Once you have all your meatballs formed, line them up on a cookie tray. Its really important not to crowd the tray so the meat cooks evenly. Once you have this step completed, put your meatballs in the oven – reduce the heat to 375 and cook for exactly 45 minutes. Reducing the heat allows for the outside to form a slight crunch, while the inside cooks perfectly.


4. Now we start on the sauce! Slice the onions & chop garlic & add to saucepan over medium heat with about 2 swirls of olive oil in the pan.
Once the onions have cooked and are translucent, add in the remaining ingredients for the sauce, starting with the crushed tomatos. After you have all the ingredients added & well incorporated, turn the heat to low & cover. The flavors will all blend together on a low simmer while the meatballs finish cooking.

5. When the meatballs are done you are going to take each one and add to your sauce, excuse me, gravy…. and roll around to make sure they are completely covered. Optional step is to place a slice of mozerella on each meatball (after its been rolled in the gravy) and cover again for just a minute to melt the cheese.

6. For the salad, I cheated and bought a bag of Ultimate Caesar Salad mix, but I am not kidding when I say, it was the BEST bag of salad I have ever bought. BECAUSE it has the shaved Parmesan cheese, the creamy dressing & this little spice mix to sprinkle on top that I had never seen before….
(PS, I always cut out the lettuce "ribs")






I topped my meatballs with some grated Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.


No comments:

Post a Comment