Sunday, September 17, 2023

Shelly's Green Tomato Relish



Is it just me or is Sunday made for cooking? This past week I picked up about 20 green tomatoes at the Farmers Market.   I LOVE green tomato relish. I used to help my mother-in-law make it every fall in her kitchen, using a recipe handed down from her mother and grandmother. We would use a food grinder and it was really messy. Today I use a food processor and, although I am still a pretty messy cook, the process is way faster and easier.

Here is my recipe, which is cut down from the original.

Green Tomato Relish
20 Green Tomatoes
3 Large Red Peppers
3 Large Green Peppers
2 Large Onions

Grate vegetables in a food processor. Cook slow about 15 minutes. Drain if too much juice.

In another pot, mix together and bring to a boil;
2 Cups Cider Vinegar
3 Cups Sugar
1 TBL Salt
½ Tsp ground Cloves
½ Tsp Allspice
½ Tsp Cinnamon
½ TBL Mustard Seed
½ TBL Celery Seed
(I really love spicy relishes also and always consider adding Jalapenos, but then I don’t. I bet it would be really good though, if you like sweet and spicy)

Add to Vegetable mixture and boil another 15 minutes.

I have Mason Jars and we sell Mason Jar LIDS at Harter House. (At least for sure at 1500 E. Republic Road)

I boiled the jars to sanitize them. Then filled them full with the relish mixture. My Mother-In-Law always let the full jars stand upside down on the counter to cool, to help seal the jars. So I will do that also, because that’s the way I learned. My kitchen smells SO GOOD! A mixture of sweet and sour.

And Barbara Kauffman, you’ve got a big jar of Shelly’s Homemade Green Tomato Relish with your name on it!

This batch really made a lot too. Three large jars, three medium jars and three small jars with just a bit more that we will serve with dinner tonight. Jars do not need to be refrigerated till opened.




By the way, our dinner tonight is Harter House Baby Back Pork Ribs.
















No comments:

Post a Comment