Monday, May 20, 2019

Lemon Anise Slush Recipe


I found this recipe in an old issue of Gourmet magazine quite a long time ago, I make it on the nicest summer days or whenever I get a craving. I also sampled it at Harter House World Flavors when I was sampling Limoncello Liqueur!
The thing that makes this special is the hint of unexpected anise flavor which pairs nicely with refreshing lemon.
There are a number of ways to approach this quencher. The original recipe calls for either water, or vodka (if you're not messing around) as the base. My mom tends to make this as a mid-day treat and find that water works great. Yogurt is an alternative if you're up for something creamier and more substantial. I tend to make it as a refreshing adult beverage. Or, my husband enjoys a pilsner in place of the water, and this is also a tasty variety. My favorite is to add a small splash of Limoncello (Liqueur) finishing things off in lemon-kissed heaven. It's optional, but if you happen to have some on hand, give it a try.

Find all the ingredients you need at your neighborhood Harter House Supermarkets!

Lemon Anise Slush
I like to crush the anise seeds a bit with my mortar and pestle before adding them to the blender, with the idea that it makes it easier for the blender to break down the seeds a bit. But I'm not actually sure it helps, and think of it more of an optional step than anything.

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
1/3 cup sugar or honey, plus more to taste
3/4 teaspoon anise seeds
1 cup water or yogurt (vodka or pilsner for adult version)
ice cubes, to fill blender
water
2 tablespoons limoncello, optional but excellent!

Blend juice, sugar or honey, and seeds in a blender until the seeds break up quite a bit, at least thirty seconds. Longer if needed.
Add the water (or vodka, yogurt, pils), and enough ice to fill the blender. Blend until smooth. I sometimes need to add more water, to thin things out a bit and keep the blender going - do so a bit at a time. Depending on your blender, you might also need to stop on occasion to scrape the sides of the blender to get an even slush. Adjust for sweetness and lemon juice as you go. Serve immediately.

Serves 4-6. Prep time: 5 min

Now sit back and pretend you are here!


No comments:

Post a Comment